10 Key Principles of
1. Operation Encompass is a unique police and education early intervention safeguarding partnership enabling support for children and young people who have experienced domestic abuse.
2. Operation Encompass is every child’s right. It should be embedded in every force, in every school, for every child.
3. Operation Encompass will ensure that ALL incidents of Domestic Abuse are shared with schools, not just those where an offence can be identified.
4. Through Operation Encompass a trained Key Adult in school (Designated Safeguarding Lead) will be notified PRIOR to the start of the next school day that a child has experienced an incident of Domestic Abuse when the police have attended.
5. The Key Adult must be a trained Designated or Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and should attend a mandatory Police and Education led Operation Encompass briefing. The Key Adult is the person who will receive the information from the police.
6. The Key Adult should cascade the necessary awareness training to Governors and all staff so that there is knowledge of the scheme as well as the knowledge about Domestic Abuse and its impact upon children.
7. The Key Adult must be notified PRIOR to the start of the school day in order to plan for timely support. This timely knowledge enables all interactions, from when the child first arrives at the school gates, to be of a positive nature.
8. Operation Encompass is an integral part of safeguarding and child protection and, as such, should be cited in the school’s Safeguarding and Child Protection policies.
9. Operation Encompass must lead to a secure record keeping trail. This may be electronic or paper based. All records must be managed at Child Protection level with the highest level of security and confidentiality.
10. As part of the school’s participation in Operation Encompass the Key Adult must lead in informing all members of the school’s community about the project. This includes, but is not limited to, placing information on the school’s website, in the prospectus and sending the joint police/school letter to parents.
PDF Documents below for futher advice