7th July 2022
Re: Year 11 – 2022 – 23
We are delighted to have successfully reached the end of the academic year. It has been a challenging time as we have been working hard to catch students up on work missed due to lockdown absences, as well as completing the first year of their GCSE courses. We have been very proud to see many wonderful achievements both inside and outside of school and we have appointed a fantastic team of Head Pupils and Prefects ready to help lead the school next year.
You will shortly be receiving your child’s end of year report on the SIMS App and I hope you will support your child(ren) with addressing any feedback given.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming pupils into Year 11 and supporting them through their final GCSE year so that all pupils leave with their very best results and are all able to be successful with further education and employment.
It will be a year filled with opportunities and rewards for example the Prom, Leavers’ Assembly and Intervention rewards. We would like to involve as many of the year group in these as possible.
We would like to stress that being invited to these events is a privilege, not an automatic right.
We will be looking at:
- Attendance and Punctuality
- Achievement and Behaviour points
- Work rate in lessons
- Attendance at Intervention sessions
- Independent study
- Attitude to learning
Should a concern be raised in any of the above areas pupils may not be invited
At Philips High school we strive for excellence, and as our Year 11 pupils are role models for the school, we would like to take this opportunity to provide a few reminders of our expectations.
- We expect all pupils to follow the school rules and work to high standards at all times, being respectful and courteous to both staff and pupils.
- Excellent attendance is vital so that learning is not missed – if students are ill, please ring school with a reason for absence and provide medical evidence if possible
- Pupils need to be punctual to both school and lessons and well prepared with the correct uniform and equipment. At Philips High School pride in pupil’s appearance is central to our message of high expectations and aspirations.
- Smart, business-like appearance
- White Shirt (no button down collars)
- Year 11 Tie – These can be purchased from the School Office at a cost of £7.50
- Navy Blue Blazer with school badge
- Navy Blue V Neck Jumper (optional). NO SWEATSHIRTS/HOODIES
- Plain BLACK SMART “suit style” trousers. NO LEGGINGS/JEGGINGS/JEANS
- Plain navy blue or black socks
- Plain ALL BLACK “business like” shoes
- No piercings, makeup, painted or false nails, jewellery, fake tan
- No extreme haircuts or colours
- Long hair needs to be tied back in all practical lessons – using plain bands or slides
- All pupils are requested to wear a plain outdoor coat
- Year 11 will still be allowed to come to school in their PE kit on the days when they have PE
- Trainers have to be plain black with no logos
- If pupils do not wish to purchase PE uniform from Macron, they can wear plain black leggings or plain black shorts and plain red polo shirts
- Black pen, red pen, pencil, calculator, ruler, maths set, planner
If pupils do not attend in the correct uniform, you will be contacted by one of the y11 team and pupils may be asked to go home to change into the correct school uniform. If it is the wrong footwear, pupils will be wearing pumps. They will receive a behaviour point and will be isolated at break and lunch.
- Attendance at after school intervention lessons is compulsory so that they can be well-supported to achieve their very best results. A timetable for intervention will be given out in September. If your child is selected for intervention to support them with improving their grades, please ensure they attend.
- Pupils should be following the Independent Study timetable and revising at home, preparing for all KATs and mock examinations as directed by their class teacher.
We will start planning for the Prom early in the year and the first invitations will be given towards the end of September, further details will follow.
Year 11 will be a fresh start for all students in the year group. Within the first month, we will review progress made so far. We will be inviting parents into school to discuss how we can work together to ensure that students stay on top of their workload and remain focused on their GCSE journey. We are hoping to invite colleges to this event so that students can start preparing for at life after Philips High School.
We wish that you and your family have a relaxing summer and look forward to welcoming students back in Year 11. Mrs Platt and Mrs Bailey will be joining the Year team and they are looking forward to getting to know the students from September.
The Year 11 Team – September 2022
Mrs Suttie & Mrs Morris – Heads of Year 11
Mrs Platt – Assistant Headteacher – SLT Link Year 11
Mrs Bailey – Assistant Headteacher – KS4 SLT Link
Ms T Owen