22nd May 2020
To all Parents/Carers of Years 7 to 10
Re: Philips High School – Update
As we reach the end of the half term I wanted to take another opportunity to thank you all for your fantastic support in this most challenging time and update you on a few issues. We have been in regular contact with both pupils and parents and listening to your concerns. This has allowed us to improve and develop as a result and I would like to thank you for that. We will continue to survey you all at regular intervals so we can address concerns and evolve our remote learning offer.
We are continuing to provide packs for pupils who do not have internet and/or computer access at home. I am chasing the local authority daily to try and find out when laptops will be provided for vulnerable pupils but to date, this has not moved forward. I will continue to chase.
I want to thank staff for their hard work and dedication. We have been open for children of keyworkers and vulnerable pupils. Lots has been happening behind the scenes, here are some examples:
- We have sent out subject and STAR awards.
- Staff are completing on line training whilst at home to ensure they continue to develop their knowledge and skills.
- Many Staff have started to use on line platforms to have face to face sessions with form classes and drop ins, we are looking to extend this after half term.
- I have been interviewing to ensure we are fully staffed for September.
- Building works and decorating have been taking place to improve the school environment.
- PPE has been made by staff and delivered by staff out to local businesses
- Hampers/cakes delivered to local care homes and primary schools
- Transition work for year 6 is well underway.
I now want to update you on the Government’s proposals regarding the opening of schools for year 10 pupils.
SCHOOL WILL NOT OPEN FOR YEAR 10 ON 1ST JUNE.
Across Bury, secondary Headteachers are currently making plans to open around MID JUNE. This may or may not happen. What we are doing at Philips is getting ready so when we get the go ahead we have everything in place that is needed. I will attach some photographs of the rooms we have prepared. I will send out the staff/parent and pupil protocol and then survey year 10 parents to see if they require a place. We can then plan the groups. All staff/parents and pupils will be required to sign the protocols to confirm they have been read and understood. Currently, parents can decide whether to send their children into school. Work will continue to be set on line for all pupils in years 7 – 10. The sessions in school will support this learning. I will write separately to year 10 parents to go through our plans in detail. Thank you for your patience regarding this matter.
Finally, can I wish you all a happy and healthy half term. Please take this opportunity to encourage your children to catch up on any work missed and their star card targets.
Stay safe and take care.
Ms T Owen